Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Three tips to help readers love reading your book



Today's readers expect stories to read as if they are immersed in a well-crafted movie. How do you make your book read like a movie? 

Books consist of words that form mind pictures. We want to craft them in a way that draws readers in so they want to read more. Sometimes, we miss the mark. That can leave readers frustrate or bored.  

Three ways to make your book more readable. 

  1)  Keep each sentence simple, focused on one thought or idea. In general conversation, we sometimes ramble before we get to the point. We don't have that luxury in writing. 

Example: "After the unnerving discussion with Louise late last night, I had such trouble sleeping, I barely got up in time to smear some cream cheese on a bagel before I gathered my papers and left in my SUV for work on the new project my boss laid out for me."

Better: "The unnerving discussion with Louise kept me awake most of the night. The next morning, I smeared cream cheese on a bagel and rifled through my papers. I had to be at my best today. My boss just gave me a new project." 

The first sentence had so many thoughts, it was hard to determine what was important to the story and how that piece of information contributed to it. 

The second one eliminates some unnecessary information and is broken into smaller bites. In it, important information is organized in a way that lets each element be part of the framework for the story, and keeps the story moving along. 
 

2)    Don't backload the information.  Most of the time, give the information in logical chronological order. It might be necessary to change the order now and then, but it's easy for readers to grow tired of having to think out of order.

Example: "I ate a small bowl of yogurt and a slice of sprouted bread to fuel me for the new project my boss wanted me to start today and knew I needed to impress her with this one."

Better: "I need to impress my boss with this project. Rather than my usual breakfast donut on the way to work, I'll toast a slice of healthy bread and grab some yogurt. That way, I am fueled and ready to do my best."

In the first example, the reader neither knows the reason or the importance of the food choices until several phrases later. 

In the better option, the reader walks through the decision process with the character and understands the motivation from the beginning. This helps the reader comprehend as well as identify with the character.

3)    Vary the length and style of your sentences. While active voice is preferred, not every sentence needs to begin with the subject/verb structure.

Example: "I entered the room. I saw the man standing in the corner. He looked at me. I met his gaze. We approached each other with open arms."

Better: "After I entered the room, I saw a man standing in the corner. My gaze met his. We walked toward each other arms ready to embrace."

The writer earns points for having short chronological sentences but, risks losing the reader with repetition. The five sentences began with; I entered, I saw, he looked, I met,  and we approached. Unless you are creating a dramatic scene or writing under the constraints of music lyrics or a children's book, it becomes boring to read sentences so similar. 

A better version might include a time phrase and link a couple of the sentences together to bring variety in length and style.

It's also a good practice to take the time to look at the first sentence in each paragraph and include variety there, too.

Dear writer,
Remember that your story is important. The world only has one of you and your words can make a difference. 

Keep working to let your words shine, glorifying God. Brush any discouragement off your fingertips and write. You will never learn all there is to know about writing. 

Write anyway. 

Let a trusted critique group help you refine your words, paragraphs, and pages into something lasting for His kingdom.

I'm praying that 
"... the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; 
and do confirm for us 
the work of our hands..." 
Psalm 90:17a (NASB)

Blessings,
Lisa
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment