Thursday, June 13, 2024

When God's Promises are Conditional

 


Many of God's promises to us are unconditional, however, there are some in which we must meet conditions before we can expect Him to fulfill His promise. 

If we do something, then God will do something. I call these "if/then" promises. 


In the example below, I put the if/when in bold for us to easily see.   

If we request wisdom from God by asking in faith without doubting Him,

then He will give it. 

James 1:5-7

What is the "if" part that we are required to do? 

If we request wisdom from God ...

But is it enough to simply ask God for wisdom? 

No. Before He grants us wisdom, He expects us to ask a certain way. 

in faith

How much faith? 

without doubting Him.

I like to divide the phrases by structuring them so I can see the main parts and supporting parts. It helps me see and remember the main points.

If we request wisdom from God 

by asking in faith (part 1)

without doubting Him, (part 2, expanding on part 1)

then He will give it. 

James 1:5-7


With the Scripture structured this way, it's easier to see both parts of our responsibility in the request and His response. 

If we request 1) in faith 2) without doubting Him, then He will give it.


Here's another example. Read the passage below and find the if/when.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Because there are several items in the "if" part and the "then" part, let's structure the verse into a list. My thoughts are in parentheses.


If my people, which are called by my name, (clarifies the question of which people)

1) shall humble themselves, 

2) and pray, 

3) and seek my face, 

4) and turn from their wicked ways; 

then 

1) will I hear from heaven, 

2) and will forgive their sin, 

3) and will heal their land. 

2 Chronicles 7:14

Making this simple listed helps with understanding each element. Sometimes, I write a number over the word/phrase in my Bible or make a list beside the verse.


Here's another if/then example. 

If you do not listen, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name,” says the LORD of hosts, “then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings; and indeed, I have cursed them already, because you are not taking it to heart.

Malachi 2:2


Let's structure that verse so we can see the elements of if/when. Look for my notes in brackets.  with some questions and answers I noticed.

If you do not listen, 

and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name,” says the LORD of hosts, 

[Is it enough to listen? No. We must take it to heart to give honor to the LORD]

then I will send the curse upon you [notice the LORD gives us a chance to listen and take to heart]

and I will curse your blessings; 

and indeed, I have cursed them already, 

because you are not taking it to heart. [Did God have a reason to curse them? Yes, "because" is a term of conclusion. Because they didn't take heart, He cursed them.]

This is an example of spending a little extra time in Bible study to explore and learn truths in Scripture. Taking a few minutes to structure the verse(s) and make lists are easy ways to get more out of your Bible study time.


Here's another passage with an example of "if/then." This time the "if/then" is implied but easy to see.

And the Lord said, “If you had faith like a mustard seed, 

you would say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and be planted in the sea';

and it would obey you

Luke 17:6


Another example of implied if/then.

Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. 

Matthew 6:31-34

The main point is to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. By reading the verses before and after we see the context, and better understand it. 

The first two sentences explain the problem - us worrying about what we will have to eat, drink, or wear. Instead, Jesus told them to to do something else first. (seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.) 

The last two sentences summarize the whole passage so they were clear on the meaning. "So" is another term of conclusion. Because of the reminder that our Father knows our needs, we have a reason to live without worrying about them. He ends with an instruction, "so" do not worry. 


Want to practice on your own? Try it in Proverbs 2:1-6.


If/then phrases whether written or implied are great ways to add more depth and understanding to your time with the Lord, in His Word.


Remember to pray first, and ask God to send His Holy Spirit to teach you and fill you with the wisdom to not only read, but take to heart what He wants you to know.

I'm praying God will richly bless you as you seek Him above all things.
In Jesus' name,
Amen.





 


1 comment:

  1. This is heartwarming and reassuring. I always hold on to God's promises to me.

    ReplyDelete