Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Bible Study 101 - Five Reasons to Pray First

 


Five reasons I need to pray before I begin Bible study time.

 We are often in a rush to complete our tasks for the day, and unfortunately, Bible study can become routine. Perhaps you have closed your Bible without remembering what you learned in your time of reading. Here are several reasons I find it essential to pray before I begin.

1) Because I need the Holy Spirit to teach me. “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and remind you of all that I said to you." John 14:26 (NASB20)
 

2) I want to do more than let my eyes touch the words so I can fulfill a "duty" to read the Bible. I want His Word to penetrate my heart. I want my time with God to leave me changed, and more conformed to Him.

3) I often need to clear my mind of distractions so I'm unhindered by any concerns or to-do lists. That way, I can listen carefully for the Holy Spirit to prick my heart toward God, instead of earthly matters.

4) I need the reminder of how precious a gift He has given us in His Word. What a treasure to have God's Word to guide me on this. I try to continually always thank Him for providing this extraordinary gift for me.

5) I like to study and learn, so it's easy for me to become too focused on finding an answer or memorizing a passage than simply sitting at His feet and allowing His love to surround me. 

I pray you will not only make time to spend in Bible study today and that time will become a precious fellowship with God, who loves you.





No comments:

Post a Comment